Temporary Low Cost Travel Cafe
This standby forum will soon upgrade to the new Low Cost Travel Cafe.
Explore the rest of the Travel Cafe to find more features.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
BlogsBlogs    My BlogWeblogs News

Rumours swirl over Gopinath's plan to take back Air Deccan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Temporary Low Cost Travel Cafe Forum Index -> -> News on Low Cost Airlines in Asia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
attitudetravel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Rumours swirl over Gopinath's plan to take back Air Deccan If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

India's low cost pioneer, Captain Gopinath, may be planning to take back the airline he started, Air Deccan (now part of Kingfisher and restructured and rebranded as Kingfisher Red). At least according to Nirbhay Kumar and Boby Kurian at India's Economic Times.

Quote:
Mr Gopinath, according to some sources, was upset that Mr Mallya had abandoned the low cost model post merger with Kingfisher and that, because of that, Kingfisher Airlines (formerly Deccan Aviation) had lost on passenger volume and a significant proportion of the market share.

Kingfisher countered this by pointing out that the total number of passengers carried by Kingfisher Red, the rebranded name for the low cost airline, in September was 3.29 lakh, which was higher than JetLite at 2.43 lakh and SpiceJet at 2.13 lakh. Further, Kingfisher Airlines, as an entity, carried 7.38 lakh passengers, more than 7 lakh carried by Deccan Aviation in the same period last year.

It is understood that the potential investors backing Mr Gopinath include aircraft leasing companies and private equity players. They are willing to bankroll the Air Deccan founder in case he could negotiate a deal with Mr Mallya for buying back the low-cost carrier.

Source: Gopinath plans offer to buy back Air Deccan
attitudetravel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Honestly. Does this sound likely?

This reads more like wishful thinking than any sort of realistic prospect.

I agree the idea of a heroic Captain Gopinath with the emblem of the Common Man on his shield, fighting back against the evil Baron Mallya is very compelling.

I would be delighted to see Gopi, India's first and boldest low cost pioneer, reclaim Kingfisher Red, turn it back into Air Deccan, the airline he founded, and transform it into a hugely successful Indian no-frills carrier on the scale of Air Asia or Ryanair...

... but, sadly, I don't think that's on the cards.
Konangrit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:47 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I don't see why Mallya would want to sell Deccan back for a realistic price. Gopinath should just start a new airline instead, it would be a lot cheaper.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Temporary Low Cost Travel Cafe Forum Index -> -> News on Low Cost Airlines in Asia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: