Temporary Low Cost Travel Cafe
This standby forum will soon upgrade to the new Low Cost Travel Cafe.
Explore the rest of the Travel Cafe to find more features.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
BlogsBlogs    My BlogWeblogs News

New Air India Express route to link Doha to Chennai

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Temporary Low Cost Travel Cafe Forum Index -> -> News on Low Cost Airlines in the Middle East and North Africa
View previous topic :: View next topic  
attitudetravel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: New Air India Express route to link Doha to Chennai If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

India's only international low cost carrier, Air India Express says it is "actively considering" launching a new low cost route between Doha in Qatar and Chennai (Madras) on the east coast of India.

Arvind Nair at the Gulf Times interviewed the airline's executive director, FD Warden.

Quote:
Warden said the airline had fulfilled its expressed objective of giving an affordable transport to financially disadvantaged Indians in the Gulf.

“As a low-cost product, the market has accepted us wholeheartedly, proving that we have succeeded in giving what the people wanted,” said the executive director.

Source: Indian budget carrier mulls more services from the Gulf
attitudetravel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I am currently watching Air India Express with a great deal of interest!

It doesn't have the highly-marketed profile of other Indian low fare airlines such as spiceJet or IndiGo, but it hasn't been slow to take advantage of its special legal status allowing it to fly international routes without first needing to fly domestically within India for five years.

I only recently discovered by accident - I hadn't seen any news about it anywhere - that Air India's low cost subsidiary has quietly set up a hub in Dhaka in Bangladesh from which it now offers international low cost routes to Thailand and Singapore as well as to India.

That makes it the first Bangladesh-based low fare carrier of any substance.
attitudetravel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Perhaps, if it continues to expand successfully, Air India Express will be able to give Air Arabia some serious competition on low cost air routes connecting the Middle East not just to India but to countries all the way across South Asia.
Konangrit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

attitudetravel wrote:

I only recently discovered by accident - I hadn't seen any news about it anywhere - that Air India's low cost subsidiary has quietly set up a hub in Dhaka in Bangladesh from which it now offers international low cost routes to Thailand and Singapore as well as to India.

That makes it the first Bangladesh-based low fare carrier of any substance.

I noticed this whilst searching for flights from Thailand to India, but I don't think they actually have a hub in Dhaka. Singapore and Bangkok flights to Dhaka are via Kolkota. The funny thing is that Bangkok - Dhaka via Kolkota was cheaper than booking Bangkok - Kolkota. I see this has been fixed now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Temporary Low Cost Travel Cafe Forum Index -> -> News on Low Cost Airlines in the Middle East and North Africa All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: