Temporary Low Cost Travel Cafe
This standby forum will soon upgrade to the new Low Cost Travel Cafe.
Explore the rest of the Travel Cafe to find more features.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
BlogsBlogs    My BlogWeblogs News

Air Asia to launch in Bangladesh

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Temporary Low Cost Travel Cafe Forum Index -> -> News on Low Cost Airlines in Asia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
attitudetravel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Air Asia to launch in Bangladesh If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

After a long wait, the Dhaka administration will allow Air Asia to operate flights from Bangladesh, making travel between the South Asian country and Southeast Asia a lot more affordable.

The first route will link the Bangladeshi and Malaysian capitals:

Dhaka - Kuala Lumpur

Source: Air Asia may fly from Dhaka
attitudetravel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

When I questioned Tony Fernandes about this development this morning, he said that in fact, the talks in Dhaka are still going on, but that a positive outcome is likely very soon.

Keep watching this space.
Konangrit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:42 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Interesting, it has indeed been a long wait. I guess the political problems there haven't helped.

I wonder if they'll also fly to India, or just concentrate on SE Asia.
attitudetravel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Quote:
I wonder if they'll also fly to India

I think in the long term, that's a safe bet. Once, Air Asia is properly set up in Dhaka, I can't imagine the carrier turning down the prospect of operating low cost services between Bangladesh and the rest of the subcontinent.

In the short term, I guess it depends whether they end up successfully negotiating a full Bangladesh-based subsidiary, similar to Thai AirAsia in Thailand or Awair in Indonesia or just slots for Air Asia Berhad to fly into Dhaka from KL.

Note that, Air Asia will be flying across the Bay of Bengal from the Malay Peninsula direct to southern India from November 2008:

Air Asia to introduce Routes to India in November
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Temporary Low Cost Travel Cafe Forum Index -> -> News on Low Cost Airlines in Asia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: