Temporary Low Cost Travel Cafe
This standby forum will soon upgrade to the new Low Cost Travel Cafe.
Explore the rest of the Travel Cafe to find more features.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
BlogsBlogs    My BlogWeblogs News

Mallya to kill Air Deccan?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Temporary Low Cost Travel Cafe Forum Index -> -> News on Low Cost Airlines in Asia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
attitudetravel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Mallya to kill Air Deccan? If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Kingfisher CEO Vijay Mallya whose company United Breweries (UB) owns 46% of Deccan may be planning not only to kill off the brand which first introduced low cost aviation to India but to do away with no-frills flights completely.

Quote:
UB's think tanks are now strongly considering operating under one brand, Kingfisher Airlines and doing away with the low-cost Deccan model altogether.

This represents a change in strategy from UB's course to date:

Quote:
Previously, there was a move to rebrand Deccan, but retain the low-cost model. In the past two months there have been numerous probables of what would be the new name to replace Deccan — King Lite, King Easy, Deccan King and Kingfisher Express. The model then would have been to use the low cost carrier on short haul routes and the premium service on the other routes.

But the move is unlikely to be a popular one:

Quote:
"The decision to kill the Deccan brand altogether, which is extremely strong in smaller cities, is a tough call, as people in these cities relate flying to Air Deccan," said an aviation analyst.

Source: Mallya plans single brand, to shelve Air Deccan
attitudetravel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

This Times of India article confirms that Kingfisher is about to ditch the Air Deccan brand:

End of flying for brand Air Deccan

One observation that caught my eye:

Quote:
there were several complaints that a Deccan ticket being bought on Kingfisher website costs more than if it purchased on Deccan website. (sic)

It will be interesting to see how cheap the fares remain when the Air Deccan brand is no longer flying.
attitudetravel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Good news!

It appears that Kingfisher is not planning to ditch the low cost operations after all.

While the Air Deccan name will be dropped (as well as Simplifly Deccan, which is what Mallya first renamed the airline after he took charge of the branding), the low fare flights will continue operating under the new name Kingfisher Red.
Konangrit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:03 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Well, whilst they may still claim to be low cost I can't say that I agree.

I'm trying to find a reasonably cheap way to Goa in January, with Nok Air dropping their Bangkok - Bangalore route that's not so easy, but it's still possible to fly to Bangalore via Singapore with Tiger. The problem is the short return flight from Bangalore to Goa with Kingfisher is over $200, infact it's the same price as the long return flight to Bangalore from Singapore with Tiger. All competing airline's flights are suspiciously exactly the same price.

Air India Express fly Bangkok - Kolkota for a reasonable, but not fantastic price, but the internal "budget" flights from Kolkota to Goa just aren't that cheap. It's now really quite expensive to fly from one end of India to the other.

Kingfisher's take over of Deccan has really killed low cost flights in India.

I'm considering taking the train, but with only a week to spare this isn't very practical as I'll lose over a day each way.

Scheduled flights by standard airlines are just ridiculously priced, maybe I'll just have to give India a miss for now unless AirAsia can give me some cheaper options.
attitudetravel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Quote:
the short return flight from Bangalore to Goa with Kingfisher is over $200 [...] All competing airline's flights are suspiciously exactly the same price.

I can see tax-inclusive one-way fares from Bangalore to Goa on IndiGo in less than a month's time (Monday, October 27) for INR 3175 (USD 68).

Last edited by attitudetravel on Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:06 am; edited 3 times in total
attitudetravel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:01 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Quote:
Kingfisher's take over of Deccan has really killed low cost flights in India.

I'm still optimistic that Vijay Mallya will realise the merits of having a simple, no-frills, low fare service alongside his elaborate, Bollywood-esque, five-star (yawn) service.

The problem right now is, it's impossible to search specifically for cheaper flights on Kingfisher - you have to enter city pairs blindly, until a route comes up which is being served by Kingfisher Red.

Obviously it helps to know that Kingfisher Red flies out of Mumbai and Delhi, but the website doesn't indicate that very clearly...

So, it is possible to find tax-inclusive, one-way Kingfisher Red flights from Bengaluru to Mumbai (for instance) for INR 4025 (USD 86) - available on Monday, October 20 - but you have to search hard.
Konangrit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

attitudetravel wrote:
Quote:
the short return flight from Bangalore to Goa with Kingfisher is over $200 [...] All competing airline's flights are suspiciously exactly the same price.

I can see tax-inclusive one-way fares from Bangalore to Goa on IndiGo in less than a month's time (Monday, October 27) for INR 3175 (USD 68).

Thanks Alan, that's great, they have the same prices for when I need to fly too. I must have missed Indigo somehow. That's far more reasonable, despite it only being a short 500km hop.

BKK - SNG - BKK: $130 Jetstar/Tiger
SNG - BLR - SNG: $220 Tiger
BLR - GOA - BLR: $135 Indigo

Total: $485

The cheapest ticket with a standard airline was over $1000, so I'm quite pleased with that. Bangkok - Kolkota was $320 with Air India Express, but the internal flights end up doubling the price.

Maybe I was premature by declaring the death of low cost flights in India, as you point out, it seems the flights I entered weren't actually Deccan flights.

Anyway, $500 was what I was aiming for, so thanks to your help I'll be off to India come January.
attitudetravel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Hey, no problem. That's a model proof that this community setup works Smile

I'm going to concentrate on growing the community here over the next few months, now that I am back working on attitude Travel full time.

As I figure it, the more people there are to help each other find the best, direct deals, the easier it becomes for anyone to arrange independent travel plans on a budget.

Last edited by attitudetravel on Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:31 am; edited 2 times in total
attitudetravel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

In the meantime, I'll try and get hold of someone at Kingfisher Red and see if I can find out if there are any plans to make the low cost air service formerly known as Air Deccan easier to find on the new Kingfisher website.
JohnBenjamin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:45 am    Post subject: Passport Renewal If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Really, it is a good planning. If you are needed another apply for passport card. This card can be issued by mail if you have not received a passport card through the mail previously.

Passports for Children and Passport Renewal
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Temporary Low Cost Travel Cafe Forum Index -> -> News on Low Cost Airlines in Asia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: