Temporary Low Cost Travel Cafe
This standby forum will soon upgrade to the new Low Cost Travel Cafe.
Explore the rest of the Travel Cafe to find more features.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
BlogsBlogs    My BlogWeblogs News

Low cost Korean Carriers in English

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Temporary Low Cost Travel Cafe Forum Index -> -> Cheap Flights and other Low Cost Travel Strategies - Questions & Answers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chgolee

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Low cost Korean Carriers in English If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I am visiting Thailand and Malaysia this spring and would like to make a visit to Seoul sometime during my trip. I noticed that there are several airlines flying in and out fo Seoul to BKK and Kuala Lumpur but I cannot find websites for them in English.
Hansung Air
Jeju Air
Jin Air
Purplejet
Yeongnam Air
Any advice would be really appreciated,

Chicago lee
attitudetravel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

That's an excellent question, Chicago.

You're right that there are a number of low fare carriers currently operating in South Korea - and in addition to the five you mentioned:

1) Hansung Airlines
2) Jeju Air
3) Jin Air
4) PurpleJet
5) Yeongnam Air

as many as three more may launch in the next few months:

6) Air Busan
7) Eastar Jet
8) Kostar Airlines

However, as you correctly point out, what all the websites of these budget airline have in common is that they are all exclusively in Korean - none of the airlines have yet thought it worthwhile to commission non-native language versions of their sites, unfortunately.

While no English translation versions of the websites are available yet, there are strategies to get around a lack of knowledge of Hangul.

For the purposes of booking, you only really need to understand the dates and itinerary cities - and the dates should be fairly self-evident.

This said, it should be possible to fire up one copy of the original website in your browser and then open additional machine-translated copies of each new page from that site, as you need them, selecting the Korean to English translation option in either:

i) Google Translate; or
ii) Yahoo! Babelfish

to help you work your way through the online booking process on the original site.
attitudetravel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Quote:
I noticed that there are several airlines flying in and out of Seoul to BKK and Kuala Lumpur

That's interesting! As far as I was aware, the South Korean low fare carriers currently in operation only offer domestic routes within South Korea at present.

Are you sure that you saw information on these airlines flying international routes? If so, these are either new scheduled routes which the airlines have plans to introduce, or else they must be charter routes, which cannot be booked from the website. (For instance, Jeju Air has been experimenting with low fare flights from South Korea to Japan on a charter basis.)

If you can let me know where you saw the information about the South Korean airlines you mentioned connecting Seoul to Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur, I will double check and get back to you, confirming the status of these routes.
Konangrit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:18 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I think the reason that all of the Korean sites are not available in English is because it's impossible to book unless you are a Korean resident. Korea has some very draconian internet laws where to make an account on a Korean website you have to enter some kind of Korean ID number. It used to be a "resident registration number", but it's possible that it may since have changed as the following article suggests the government were considering an even more inconvenient scheme.

This not only applies to commercial transactions, but also forums etc. It seems kind of Orwellian to me, I don't even think it's that restrictive in China.

Quote:
KOREA: New Internet ID system proposed

Users will register for website accounts under new rules, though many large portals have already addressed Internet security on their own

The government Monday proposed a new scheme to replace existing resident registration number for the Web certification. It is expected to reduce personal information leaks but could increase Internet users' inconvenience.

Citizens will be advised to make an ID and a password from one of five credit evaluation agencies in South Korea, and use them when making accounts on various Web sites, instead of entering their resident registration numbers each time. Therefore, the Web sites will have to consult the credit agencies to get the personal info of the users, not holding it by themselves.

The Ministry of the Information and Communication expected that the new system will improve personal security, since the Web sites will not hold information that they do not need.

"It may look somewhat confusing. But basically, it is an integration of various existing methods," said Yoon Soo-young of the ministry. "Users can create the ID and password by using their existing bank IDs or credit cards, or visiting the agencies' office."

NHN, the operator of Naver, the largest Internet portal in Korea, said that the government's plan is no more than a guideline, and it may create problems.

"Though the government is pushing for the plan, the new system can be cumbersome," said an NHN spokesperson. "It is true that security is an important factor. But what is equally important is the usefulness and convenience of the system. It will take sometime for us to study the feasibility of the new system, and to decide whether to use it or not."

The government has been working on the personal information security issue since February, when hundreds of thousands of resident registration numbers were found out to have been stolen to make fake online IDs for PC games, such as "Lineage."

Though there were no reported case of financial damage, worries have arisen as the 13-digit resident registration numbers carry personal information such as birth date, birthplace and gender, for signing up, and they could be used in more serious crimes.

Since the incident, major Internet and game companies have doubled their security measures by themselves.

NCsoft, the operator of "Lineage," also said it does not have any immediate plan to adopt the new system.

Date Posted: 10/2/2006

Link

As attitudetravel already stated, to the best of my knowledge none of these airlines fly scheduled international routes, which is why they don't have international sites where it's possible for a non-resident to book a flight.

There used to be a couple of Thai options, so I'll see if they still fly Bangkok-Korea.
Konangrit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:01 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Orient Thai are a Thai charter airline that fly Bangkok - Incheon four times weekly. It's possible to book a flight with them whilst in Bangkok inperson, it's not possible to book online.

Quote:
Paper Ticket Collected at ORIENT-THAI Ticket Office

* Advance reservations can be made a minimum of 72 hours and a maximum of 11 months prior to departure.
* Payment must be made and tickets collected within 72 hours of making your reservation.
* Tickets collected from Orient Thai Airlines city ticket office only (not airport ticket office),and that city ticket office must be in the country where the journey commences.

Despite what it says, I think you can actually collect the tickets from their airport office at Suvarnabhumi in Bangkok.

Their contact details are:

Quote:
Head Office

Orient-Thai Airlines
138/70, 17th Floor Jewellery Center Building, Nares Road, Bangrak, Bangkok 10500 THAILAND.

Tel : (66) 2 229 4260
Fax : (66) 2 229 4278-9
Email : reservation@orient-thai.com

They don't currently have their prices displayed on their site, so you'll have to contact their reservation email posted above for prices

Now, whilst never having personally flown with this airline, I have read a lot of complaints about it. They use very old aircraft, which are often delayed. I've read complaints of broken aircon, toilets etc. Many question their safety. It's worth noting that this is the parent airline of One2Go, a budget scheduled airline which lost a plane at Phuket Airport last year, resulting in 90 deaths. After an initial suspension One2Go started flying again, but have since been grounded due to claimed high fuel costs.

It's probably the cheapest Thailand - Korea option, but after considering flying with them previously I decided not to due to the concerns I posted above.
chgolee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Low cost carries from BKK to Korea If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Here is the webpage I mentioned http://www.attitudetravel.com/lowcostairlines/asia/
But after more carefully looking at the page and with the help of a Korean friend it became apparent that none of the airlines shown on the page fly international flights. I believe that Cebu has plans for the future to fly internationally but they are the only ones.
Still I have to think there must be a low cost way of getting from the Korean peninsula to BKK or KL or Manilla. Thanks to all who have contributed to this discussion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Temporary Low Cost Travel Cafe Forum Index -> -> Cheap Flights and other Low Cost Travel Strategies - Questions & Answers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: