Temporary Low Cost Travel Cafe
This standby forum will soon upgrade to the new Low Cost Travel Cafe.
Explore the rest of the Travel Cafe to find more features.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
BlogsBlogs    My BlogWeblogs News

Jet Lite rebrands, launches new website...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Temporary Low Cost Travel Cafe Forum Index -> -> News on Low Cost Airlines in Asia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
attitudetravel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:10 am    Post subject: Jet Lite rebrands, launches new website... If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

... though time will tell if this is simply a largely empty, cosmetic exercise of the kind beloved by marketing departments let loose with a bunch of crayons, or whether it will actually amount to a meaningful delivery of a newer better value-for-money, punctual, pan-Indian low cost service.

I suspect that there will be lots of this kind of re-branding by the more expensive low fare airlines as they run ever shorter of passengers, and hope to claw them back by attempting to show (somewhat vainly) how they now have a vibrant, fresh new image.

Airlines such as JetLite would do well to look at real low fare pioneers in Europe such as flybe or easyJet or Ryanair; or in Asia, such as Air Asia or Tiger Airways to see how low cost carriers can grow most successfully on the back of real demand by introducing completely new low fare routes with highly competitive fares, ideally at unprecedentedly low entry levels.

When there's a choice between:

a) Attempting to grow more popular by giving your logo a white background and saying things like:

Quote:
The colour light blue in the new brand represents the sky and connotes optimism and calmness. The word 'Lite', on the other hand, has been raised to connote an uplifting and brighter choice, with the use of the colour yellow further strengthening it by implying radiance and brightness in the new brand offering.

b) Actually helping people travel where they want to go more quickly and more cheaply than they have ever had the chance to before.

The winning strategy should be fairly obvious.
attitudetravel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:31 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

And what is this "cheapest domestic flights in India" that JetLite claims on the front page of its new site?

The claim seemed questionable, so I thought I'd test it out.

I picked a random mid-week date in a couple of weeks time - Thursday, 11th December - and selected a one-way flight from Mumbai to Delhi.

JetLite's lowest tax-inclusive fare came to USD 90 which was certainly better than Kingfisher Red's USD 137 (what has Mallya done to Air Deccan ?!!) but, truth be told, it couldn't really compete with the tax-inclusive fare of USD 77 available from both Indigo and spiceJet.

So... on the basis of that test, not really the cheapest domestic flights in India at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Temporary Low Cost Travel Cafe Forum Index -> -> News on Low Cost Airlines in Asia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: